Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Quick Organizing: How to Organize a Junk Drawer

Project #4: Junk Drawer
Almost every home has one (or two). It’s that special drawer where you can find anything, from hair bands to hammers, batteries to balloons. My friend calls it the magic drawer because you just don’t know what you'll find in there.

I’ll break it down using my STUFF System™
Take everything out of the drawer and Sort like things together. Take Out (throw, recycle, donate) the broken items, keys that have no home, dead ink pens, etc. Determine how you will Utilize the Space. Where will everything live? It makes sense to keep the frequently used items near the front of the drawer.

Fill Containers to keep like items together and eliminate the shifting of items when you close and open the drawer. I like to use the inexpensive containers shown here. Finally, Follow Up with your organized space on a regular basis. Straighten up things every once in a while, put items back in their homes after each use and adjust as needed if you find something just isn’t working.


Watch a short video on Organizing a Junk Drawer. Feel inspired to get your junk drawer organized? Post a link to your before and after photos. I'd love to see them!

View more Quick Organizing Tips.

For more Works for Me Ideas, visit We Are THAT family.

Enter my giveaway to win Rubbermaid's 6 piece Drawer Organization Set.

4 comments:

Creative Junkie said...

Our kitchen junk drawer was the very first thing I organized when we moved into our house - can you believe it? And it's STILL organized to this day. Sometimes I shock even myself.

Melanie said...

Melanie Spencer Fitchett My junk drawer consists of two big plastic bins. One is JUST for batteries, which are in plastic baggies, by size. The other bin is for everything else: scissors, baggies of pushpins, etc. However, Jason and Will throw anything and everything into the battery bin!!!!!!!!!!! My method is not working for our household, obviously!

ConnieFoggles said...

It just doesn't seem like home without one junk drawer. I find it an adventure looking through it to see what I can find now and then. Sometimes I'm lucky and find money, which I pocket!

Sandy M said...

Thank you for these tips! I have more than one junk drawer! LOL

Sandy (Your Life, Organized)
http://bit.ly/datmL8

Post a Comment